The topic of wisdom is always intriguing. Most of us would like to be considered wise, but wisdom is a characteristic that is illusive. One moment we seem to have it, yet in the next decision it can seem as though, we lost it. Like the old saying; your life is as good as your next decision. This certainly applies to those of us who are responsible to lead our business or ministries.
The scripture has much to say about wisdom. The primary discovery is not what it is, but where does it begin. The Bible says that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. The “fear of the Lord” does not mean being afraid of God, but having a reverence for Him that results in obeying God and His word.
So we see that wisdom is not established by intellect, education, age, or even spirituality, but by showing reverence to God.
The scripture reveals several types of wisdom:
- Earthly – linked to senses (touch, sight, etc) and earthly laws such as gravity.
- Sensual – linked to the emotions and feelings.
- Demonic – linked to supernatural deception and Satan using sense, emotions and feelings as decision makers
- Wisdom of God – linked to becoming a new creature in Christ and following His ways and word.
Earthly, sensual, and demonic wisdom are filled with reasoning, and are based from sense knowledge. It is wisdom that seems right, but the end result is separation from God. These forms of wisdom set us up for deception, and deceive us into making decisions from the wrong impulse or information. The decisions are wrong because they are based on false knowledge and understanding that is emotion and sense led, and many times enticed by Satan’s deception.
Here is the origin of God’s wisdom:
- Conversion – being born again of God’s Spirit – I Corinthians 1:30
- Reverence – awe for God and honor for His word – Proverbs 9:10
- Scripture – making the Word of God your final decision maker – Col 3:16
- Prayer – asking God for daily wisdom – James 1:5
- Counselors/Friends – finding wisdom in Godly counsel – Proverbs 11:14
How important is wisdom? Proverbs 4:9 tells us …Wisdom is the principal thing.
Ask God for it NOW!